Saturday, October 23, 2010

Updates, Musings, and an Overabundance of Links

I continue to prove my own statement that I'm a horrible blogger. So over a month after my last post I will update those who have perserved through the lack of updates. :]

Since my last post we have left Nassau -- on September 23rd to be exact -- and spent some time on Spanish Wells, another island that some of our campers live on. After that we settled back into life on Eleuthera continuing office work and preparing for our next mission team.

On October 12th we welcomed a team of 5 from Auke Bay Bible Church in Juneau, Alaska. They were a fantastic team that worked like 20 people instead of 5. While they were here they finished prepping the two freshwater tanks for a concrete pour, set forms for the concrete slabs the cabin air conditioners along with a number of smaller projects. They also brought several bags of hooded sweatshirts, jackets, and baseball caps that they distrubuted in several of the poorer communities here. They were here for almost two weeks and will be missed!

Things are moving right along on the camp property. The two freshwater tanks are expected to be done this week, post holes are being dug for the next set of cabins, air conditioners are being installed, and thanks to a substantial donation Richard was able to completely pay for electricity to be brought out to the property and the digging for the poles will being within the next week. It is really great to be able to see so much progress happening!

If you would like to see some of the happenings from this summer at Camp Bahamas check out Camp Bahamas Ministries YouTube page



It is crazy to think that in a month I will be back in Iowa. I'm looking forward to seeing family and friends, but not looking forward to the temperature shock I'm sure I will be experiencing. I know I've become a little bit spoiled when I feel chilly when the temperature drops below 80.


This week while sitting outside of a local restaurant/bar with a friend waiting for our 6 orders of french fries--it happens when you live with 5 kids :]-- I was reminded of why I'm here and the burden God has given me for the people here. A local homeless man, some fishermen who so graciously informed us that they had been drinking all day and after eating their burgers were going to go smoke a few joints, mothers waiting on food to take home to their children, teenagers and kids with nothing better to do than to try and be just like the older boys who were smoking weed on the other side of the building. There is much hurt, much confusion, much wanting and not a lot of truth or pursuit of truth. I'm reminded that these are beautiful people in a beautiful place that are in desperate need of a beautiful love.


Constant - Charlie Hall

Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain. - 1 Corinthians 15:58



If you find yourself with some time (even if you don't have time...make some)
Radical by David Platt

No comments:

Post a Comment